- Label Your Own Container Use your own reusable tote or can. Place curbside for collection. Pick up a free Yard Waste label at City Hall. Collection is part of your garbage fees.
- Use a Compostable Bag Bag for grass clippings, stems, and leaves. Place curbside for collection. You must purchase paper or clear compostable bags which are compliant with Minnesota state law from retailers. Collection is part of your garbage fees.
- Rent a Yard Waste Cart Rent a special Yard Waste rolling cart from Waste Management. Call (952) 890-1100 to arrange for a delivery of a cart. Cart rental cost is $48 per year.
Specific Instructions from Waste Management
- No dirt, sod, rocks or gravel.
- No trash, flower pots or lawn ornaments.
- Tree branches and brush must be bundled, no larger than 4’ x 2’ and under 35 pounds. Place curbside.
- Waste Management will collect Christmas trees placed curbside for the first two full weeks of January. If your tree is over 7 ft, please cut in half. Place curbside.
DO IT YOURSELF; GRASSCYCLING AND COMPOST
It is best to mow your grass and leaves and leave them on your lawn to decompose. The grass clippings naturally fertilize your lawn when the nutrients are returned to soil, which reduces need for fertilizer or bagging of clippings.
Convert yard waste to a nutrient-rich soil amendment for your garden and lawn. This is a no-cost alternative for yard waste and food waste that you can make right in your yard. For more information, visit www.pca.state.mn.us/living-green/compost
ADDITIONAL COMPOST SERVICES
Cottage Grove Compost Site, 9600 Gendenning Rd, Cottage Grove, MN 55016, 651-459-1556